Monday, March 28, 2016

Stuff My Threenager Says

My three-year old is the boss of everything.

To be fair, I didn't really experience the gravity of the terrible twos with my eldest daughter. Maybe because I found everything she did terribly amusing. But the third year is posing to be more of a challenge for us.  She went from being this cute little toddler who struggles to string words together to make us understand what she wants to say, to this headstrong little lady who can now argue her way into getting something.

 She's opinionated, she's moody and boy does she love to make a face when we tell her to behave.    Yes, ladies and gents, I am now raising a threenager.*

The threenager is that age when your 3-year-old continually acts like they are going on 13. They have an attitude for miles, a stubborn streak, and want what they want... when they want, blogger Kristen Hewitt wrote in the article "10 Signs You Are Living With a Threenager."

Nash has always been advanced with her vocabulary (she learned to talk and sing before she could actually walk), but lately her choice of words has really evolved.  Most of the time I just shake my head because I can't believe that came from the mouth of a three-year old.  No swear words though, that is never allowed in our house.  But let me share them with you while I still find them amusing (it will be a different story if she talks like this when she's 15, that's for sure), some of my threenager's favorite words and how she uses them:

"Come on!" - usually a response to no, or later.  Whenever I don't agree on what she wants to happen.

"That's not gonna happen." - when I ask her to do something and she doesn't want to do it.

"Stop acting, Mommy." - when I pretend to be mad at someone else in the house. How did she know I was just acting, anyway?

"I'm bored. I wanna do something." - basically when she's bored, and the iPad/my phone is nowhere to be found.

"I'm not wearing that." - used quite often.  When she doesn't agree on my choice of outfit for her, which is usually something that isn't pink.

"That's not fair." - when things don't go her way. Like when her Tatay and her uncle has to leave for the office.

"She/he's not my friend." - usually when we have a friend with us (meaning my friend or her Tatay's friend) and she's not feeling that person, and she doesn't want him or her to ride in the car with us.

"Don't shout at me." - I found this totally amusing because she said it with much gusto when the person she was really saying that too wasn't even shouting or raising her voice at her (the woman was just naturally high-pitched). I therefore conclude that threenagers are sensitive.

"Don't be mad at her." - her referring to her baby sister or her favorite cousin, when we try to discipline them.  She can be too protective at times.  #tagapagtanggolngnaaapi

I'm sure there's a lot more that I couldn't remember at this moment. Yes, it really sounds funny and I'm the first one to be really amused when I hear her talk like this, but I try not to laugh and tell her when she's not being nice.  I know, I don't really have to explain myself.

She's growing up too fast and every day I pray that God will grant me the patience and the wisdom to guide her to be the best person that she can be, kind and polite, just like her ... Tatay.

Earlier, after she changed into her jammies, drank her milk, and finished watching "Wreck It Ralph" for the nth time, she called me and said, "Mommy, can you please sleep beside me?" I felt a tug at my heartstrings. At the end of what can be considered a tiring day for the two of us (me watching over her and her little sister and her, playing all day), she still longed for me just like when she was a helpless infant.  So I put my phone aside and lay down beside her.  I asked her if she would want me to sing to her, and she said "Can you please carry me?" She weighs over 16 kilos now, but I happily obliged.  She fell asleep in a few minutes in my arms.  Snoring like an adult. Tomorrow she'll have enough energy to pretend to be Ms. Bossypants, this little diva again.  But I know in my heart, she will always be my little baby.

*Can relate? I'd love to hear from other moms of girls, or moms of threenagers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You Lord, for the Grace You Give Me Through My Kids

About a month ago, I was having a terrible migraine.  It was after supper, but I noticed that my kids still had a ton of energy, so I told m...