Thursday, June 15, 2017

A Letter to My Teenage Daughter (Dads Speak Up Series post # 2)

Only a few days to go before Father's Day! 

For the first part of my Dads Speak Up series, we had a glimpse of the joys of fatherhood, as expressed by a new dad to his little girl (read about it here). But as much as we want to, our kids cannot be little forever. So for Part 2, it is with great pleasure that I share to you this dad's letter to his "Baby Girl" who just won't stop growing up. 

Warning: You might need tissues.  

 

My Dearest Amaris,

Many people think that Father’s Day is a day to honor fathers around the world.  In a big sense, that’s right:  being a father is no easy job.  It is so easy to become a dad – many young people found that out the hard way.

But being a Father – that’s tough.  One has to be strong yet gentle;  firm yet supple.  One must be able to bend without breaking.  All for the love of the ones we call our children.

Yes, Father’s Day is, in a big way, a day to honor Fathers around the world.

But I see it differently.

To me, Father’s Day is a day for me to look back and be thankful for the very person whose presence first made me worthy of the title “Father”.  That person is YOU.

15 years ago, you came into this world, a tiny, wrinkled-yet-smooth little bundle of pure joy.  The first time your Mama and I saw you, we immediately fell in love with you, and all those feelings that come with the realization that all life as we once knew it would come to a screeching stop just came pouring down on us like a massive wall of water.  But it was a great feeling – not so much of fear or anxiety – but more so of wonder and excitement!  At that moment, we weren’t thinking of things like, diapers and milk and baby clothes.  Pre-school and tuition were the farthest from our mind.  The future was the future, and there was nothing we could do about that but prepare for it.

But at that moment, all that did not matter. All that mattered was YOU.

Baby Girl, you may be 15 years old now, but I still see you as my first daughter – my Baby.  I have watched you grow up, and every moment is still very clear in my mind:  your first steps, your first words (which was “Mama”, of course).  I watched, and sometimes joined you, when you took baths in the rain;  when you climbed your first rock wall, and threw your first ball.  I saw you put on your first school uniform, and I smile every time I see you smile when you wear it, all excited to go to school.  I laughed at your teacher’s stories of how you would take the lead in disciplining your classmates – I still laugh when I tell that story to friends and family today.

I also smile when I tell the story of the time I told you to “Stop growing up and be my Baby forever…”  You said “Okay”, then you started to cry.  When I asked what was wrong, you simply cried, “But I want to grow up!”  I told you I could never keep you from growing up no matter how much I wanted to, and said that every time I would tell you to stop growing up, all you should say was “You can’t stop me!”  It seems, you meant that about more than just growing up.

The writer with his beautiful family.


I still remember when you transferred to my Alma Mater:  I was so proud when I got the email telling Mama and I that you were accepted into the school.  When I watched you put on your green patterned skirt, I knew that my school had gotten itself a treasure.  You met new friends, and at that time you seemed just a little too small for a big school, but you walked up the steps with confidence and expectations.

I must admit, I got hurt that time when I asked if you wanted me to walk with you to your classroom and you said, “You can go now, Dada, I can take care of myself.”  I watched as you walked away towards your classroom, and I half joked that “My Baby did not need me anymore…”

Baby Girl – even today you still allow me to call you my “Baby Girl” – I thank you for coming into my life.  Into our lives.  Because of you, your Mama and I get to enjoy the privilege of being called “Parents”:  “Mother” and “Father”.  It is a privilege only your presence could bring.  And for this, we both thank you.

I was asked what I feared most about having a teenage girl like you.  I have no answer, really, because you give me nothing to fear.  Your attitude, your outlook in life, your values – they assure your Mama and I that we must be doing something right, because you are growing up to be a perfect young Lady.

I guess the closest thing I have to fear of any kind is that one day, I will have to watch you go and make a family of your own.  When you will have your own “baby girl (or boy)”.  I really do not know how I will feel when you leave us to join your husband in the future, but until then, you will always – and forever – be my Baby Girl.

So when you greet me a “Happy Father’s Day”, please know that when I say “thank you”, I say thank you not so much for the greeting, but more for having come into this world to give me the privilege and honor of becoming a Father.  I can only pray that I become worthy of that glorious title.

May I be the kind of Father to you and your sister, that God our Father is to all of us.

Love always,
Dada

Tyne Dignadice Jr.  is a Human Resources professional, motivational speaker, a full-time dad to Julia and Yannina and husband to his incredible wife Jeng.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You Lord, for the Grace You Give Me Through My Kids

About a month ago, I was having a terrible migraine.  It was after supper, but I noticed that my kids still had a ton of energy, so I told m...