Monday, June 12, 2017

A Letter to My Baby Girl (Dads Speak Up Series post # 1)

As we all know, June is the month that we honor the mighty men in our families -  the dads. So I've decided to do something special for this week leading to Fathers' Day. There's something really special between the bond of a dad and his little girl/s, so I asked three brilliant men, all leaders in their industries and really awesome family guys, to write a letter for their daughters. It's time to hear from the dads!

I'm so honored that these guys took time out of their busy schedules and agreed to share their innermost thoughts to us (I could feel their pride and emotions when I first read what they sent me). And they are also the very first guest bloggers in my blog, so I'm really humbled and grateful to these men. 

Let's get right to it, shall we? The first one's for the new parents.





Dear Clare,

The moment your mom and I got married, I knew that I was ready to be a father. Me wishing for a mestiza baby was even caught on our wedding film.

News about your mommy's pregnancy brought us unexplained excitement and gave us the longest nine months of anticipation. After endless readings, advice and consultations, we were ready to be parents.

On July 28, 22 hours after a premature hospital rush, we welcomed you to the world: Clare Daenerys of House Medallo.

Oh, I've never learned this much in ten months ever in my life. Having you, Clare, is like all that I have learned in my 30 years of existence compressed in a matter of months.

On our first night with you, I never stopped ringing the nurse's bell every time you pooped. I did not know how to change your diaper. Now I can change your nappy in a jiffy, only with a diaper and baby wipes in tow.

Weeks pass and I suddenly understand how parents, like your Mommy, really embody real-life superheroes. From managing sleep, work, and family (babies are a handful), to readily giving-up whatever it takes to ensure your safety and happiness. You taught me to appreciate your Lolo Dante, Lola Linda and all the other parents even more. I was very fortunate to have the best role model in Lolo Dante.





David with his mestiza daughter Clare

As your Daddy, I only want the best for you, which actually puts me in a bit of a conundrum. First, I want to give you everything that I can, but I also want you to learn about patience and working hard for what you want. Next, I want to protect you from the even the smallest risks, yet I want you to be street-smart. Lastly, I can't stand seeing you cry, but I know that dealing with disappointments and pain will be a big part of your life.

I still do not know how I will ultimately be as a Dad, but I want you to know that I will always have your best intentions first. Mine and Mommy's ways of raising you may not always be ideal parenting, but it will always be our best.

You are the best thing that ever happened to me. You are nothing but happiness ever since the day we found out that we will have you. Your hugs, tears, kisses and laughter gave my life a whole new realm of meaning. You are literally a wish that came true.

Clare, this I want you to always remember - I will never ever be the perfect Dad, but with God's guidance and Mommy's love and support, I will always strive to be one.

Love,
Daddy David

David Medallo is a 30-year old IT and sales professional married to his amazing wife Chiqui and a proud father to the most adorable 10-month old, Clare Daenerys, who wears 3-year old sized leggings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You Lord, for the Grace You Give Me Through My Kids

About a month ago, I was having a terrible migraine.  It was after supper, but I noticed that my kids still had a ton of energy, so I told m...